Attorney General William Barr seems to have quietly pulled the shades at the Justice Department and hunkered down, waiting and hoping that a Joe Biden administration will make everything go away.
If he intended to be more than just a space holder for the last two years, his prosecutorial efforts need to start producing results.
The country is now gripped by serious allegations and mounting evidence of discrepancies in the conduct of the 2020 election in several key swing states, but Barr has been virtually silent.
A group of 39 House Republicans are attempting to spur him into action. They sent a letter to Barr on Saturday asking the Department of Justice to investigate allegations of potential voter fraud and demanded an immediate response.
The letter read: “While each state runs its own election process, the United States Department of Justice is ultimately responsible for the integrity of federal elections. The American people must have the utmost confidence that the outcome of the presidential election is legitimate.”
“With widespread reports of irregularities, particularly in the vote counting process, it is time for you to use the resources of the Department to ensure that the process is conducted in a manner that is fully consistent with state and federal law. And, it is also important that the process be completely transparent, so that the American people will have full confidence in the result,” the coalition noted.
Barr asked U.S. Attorney John Bash to review the facts surrounding the “unmasking” of numerous Trump campaign officials during the 2016 election when he was appointed two years ago.
Intelligence officials were releasing the names of American citizens who were caught up in National Security Agency foreign intelligence reports, a practice that was supposed to be unlawful.
The 2016 probe was completed in October, less than a month before the November election, without bringing any criminal charges and Bash quietly left the department without even issuing a public report. The disturbing news was buried underneath the media hype about the election campaign.
Last August the Justice Department also declined to prosecute former FBI Director James Comey for leaking memos he wrote in 2017 to document his meetings with newly inaugurated President Donald Trump, even after determining that two of the memos contained confidential information.
He released the memos while employed as FBI director to politically damage the president, who had just fired him for misconduct.
U.S. Attorney John Durham was assigned to investigate the origins of the FBI’s Russia collusion hoax in October 2019, but he has only produced one conviction, even though Inspector General Michael Horowitz found 17 serious errors and omissions in FISA warrants used to spy on Carter Page, a member of Trump’s 2016 campaign.
Attorney Kevin Clinesmith pled guilty and admitted that he altered an email in FISA filings related to Page. Clinesmith’s email was part of a chain that was used as evidence for the FBI’s final warrant renewal application in 2017. He said Carter Page was not a source for another government agency. Page had said he worked with the CIA.
The FBI illegally surveilled Page because they suspected him of being an agent of Russia, but he was never charged with wrongdoing.
The public was informed last month that Durham would not be issuing any public findings before the election. After nearly a week since the fraught contest ended, Americans are still waiting to hear from him. Is he waiting on the impending recount?
The Justice Department also released records in September showing that more than two dozen phones belonging to members of former special counsel Robert Mueller’s team were “wiped” clean of their data before the inspector general could check them.
The department has not issued a public announcement of any prosecutorial action regarding the destruction of evidence on the phones.